Sweet Oatmeal Bread
Yield: Makes 2 large loaves, or 24 rolls.
2 1/3 cups water
1 cup dry oats (quick oats)
8 oz butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 ½ TBSP active dry yeast (2 pkgs)
5-6 cups all purpose flour
2 tsps salt
- In a medium saucepan bring the water to a boil and pour it over the oats in a bowl. Add the butter and brown sugar, and let the mixture cool to lukewarm (105-110 degrees)
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm oat mixture
- Stir in 3 cups flour and the salt. Mix well. Add enough of the remaining flour to make soft dough. Turn it onto a floured work surface and knead the bread for 5 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Sprinkle on additional flour, as needed, to keep the dough from sticking while working with it.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn it over to coat it completely with oil. - Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave the dough to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and divide it in half. Shape each half into round loaves (or into 12 balls for rolls.) Place the loaves onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, or into two well buttered (8 ½”) loaf pans. (If baking rolls, place them 1 inch apart onto two parchment-lined baking sheets.) Cover the bread and let it rise in a draft-free spot until doubled, about 1 hour for the loaves, or 30-40 minutes for the rolls.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. When the bread has risen the second time, slash the loaves decoratively and place them in the oven. Bake the loaves for 45-50 minutes. Bake the rolls for 20-30 minutes.